NUTS ABOUT MY MOTHER: 4 IRRESISTIBLE WAYS TO MAKE HER SMILE
Posted On March 18, 2015
WE LOVE OUR MOTHERS SO MUCH, WE’RE NOT SURE JUST ONE DAY TO CELEBRATE HER IS ENOUGH! However, we are embracing this lovely holiday with open arms. The tough question is how do you repay someone that has given you so much? Well the answer is easy- you can’t. The sacrifices and love of a mother can never be fully reciprocated.
But you can still manage to put a smile on her face, rather than the scolding look you’ve memorized ever since you were 5 years old. Mothers – a.k.a superheroes come in all different shapes, sizes, and yelling abilities- but they all however have one thing in common: they all deserve the very best. What better, than to show your gratitude by taking over the kitchen and giving her a break?
We’ve rounded up the best (and most nutty of course) recipes that will show appreciation in every bite. We’ve kept in mind that each mother has her own preferable indulgence so there is a recipe fitting each one. Oh and remember, try not to make a mess, because usually after cooking comes cleaning!
The Healthy Mom
For all the moms who are health conscious and love to eat healthy we have found the perfect breakfast recipe with 16g of protein: Oaty Yogurt with Nuts!
Oaty Yogurt with Nuts
- 25g jumbo oats
- 1 tbsp flaked almonds
- 1 tbsp hazlenuts (roughly chopped)
- 2 tsp clear honey
- 3 dried apricots (chopped)
- 1 tbsp dried cranberries
- 150g low fat natural yogurt
- Dry fry the oats and nuts for about 3 minutes over a medium heat until toasted.
- Stir in the honey and dried fruit and allow to cool slightly.
- Reserve 1 tbsp of the mixture and stir the rest into the yogurt.
- Spoon into a glass and top with the reserved oat mixture before serving.
The Sweet Tooth Mom
Moms have been there through all of our rocky roads – let’s take her on one more trip! Well, almost…
Rocky Road Fudge
- 1 bag (12oz) bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 cup chopped Al Rifai walnuts, pecans or peanuts
- 1/2 semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Combine the bittersweet chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, butter and salt in a glass bowl and melt in the microwave, stirring at 30 second intervals.
- Once the chocolate is melted, immediately stir in marshmallows, nuts and additional chips.
- Pour mixture into a greased 8×8 dish and press down to spread out evenly.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 to 2 hours, or until completely firm.
- Cut fudge into squares and refrigerate until ready to serve.
If your mom is an “up and at ‘em” type then we have the perfect solution! Show your appreciation with this delicious peanut butter and banana smoothie!
Peanut Butter & Banana Smoothie
- 2 bananas, broken into chunks
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup Al Rifai Peanut Butter
- 2 tbsp. honey, or to taste
- 2 cups ice cubes
Place all ingredients into your blender and blend until smooth.
This one we may all know a little too well. Ever since you were a kid your mom made sure you had enough protein. Well, let’s return the favor with this delicious Grilled Trout Fillet with pine nuts.
Grilled Trout Fillet with Pine Nuts
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- About 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 2 oil-packed anchovy fillets, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 medium cloves)
- About 3/4 tsp. salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons very finely shredded lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 medium heads radicchio
- 4 skin-on trout fillets (each about 1/2 in. thick)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- About 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Toast pine nuts in a wide (not nonstick) frying pan over medium heat until lightly toasted, about 3 minutes. Pour into a medium bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium heat until just warm and add panko. Toast panko, stirring occasionally, until a shade darker, about 5 minutes. Add anchovies and garlic; stir to combine well.
- Add panko mixture to pine nuts. Stir in 1/4 tsp. salt, the lemon zest, and parsley.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to high (you can hold your hand 1 to 2 in. above cooking grate only 2 to 3 seconds). Cut each radicchio head in half, cut each half into 3 wedges, and brush cut sides with olive oil. Skewer wedges onto metal skewers, 3 per skewer. Grill radicchio skewers (close lid on gas grill), 2 minutes.
- Turn radicchio skewers over. Brush fish on both sides with olive oil and grill, skin side down, 3 to 4 minutes (close lid on gas grill), or until they look opaque (cut to test) and loosen easily. Using 2 spatulas, gently turn fish over (close lid on gas grill) and cook 1 minute more. Transfer fillets to plates and radicchio to a cutting board. Season fish with salt, pepper, and a few drops of lemon juice to taste.
- Remove skewers from grilled radicchio and chop radicchio roughly. Toss with remaining lemon juice and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt. Stir remaining 3 tbsp. olive oil into breadcrumbs and spoon over flesh side of fish. Serve fish with radicchio.
We hope you take these recipes and enjoy them with your own Mothers – we know we will!
Visit any Al Rifai branch to get only the best nuts for your Mother’s Day recipes!
Happy Mother’s Day!